The Model Schools Literacy Project supports reading and writing achievement for Kindergarten to Grade 3 students in First Nations schools. The goal is to ensure that every student reads and writes well enough by the end of Grade 3 to support continued school success. This is because reading proficiency by age 9 or 10 years predicts high school graduation – in schools around the world.
Schools in the Project and their communities continue their ongoing initiatives in early literacy and work in partnership with MFI and the other Model Schools. This partnership includes continuing professional learning already in place at the school, and enhancing resources for students, school staff, and leaders. Innovative use of technology enables the schools to work together, learning and sharing their best practices in early literacy education across time, distance, and First Nations.
WHAT IS INVOLVED FOR SCHOOLS?
Schools in the Project work closely as partners with MFI’s team of educators. Selected schools participate for four years, followed by two years of support and networking to sustain progress and success. Components include:
- The Project’s four-year literacy improvement plan for Kindergarten to Grade 3 – the school’s primary focus for Kindergarten to Grade 3.
- Ongoing professional development for school staff (classroom teachers, language teachers, teaching assistants, special education staff, principals and vice principals) to implement the improvement plan.
- Building expertise in teaching practices to improve reading and writing.
- Implementing effective assessment practices.
- Mentoring for school leaders.
- Staff participation in on-site and virtual learning circles, with staff in their own schools and in other schools.
- Developing, with the school, clear accountability mechanisms and measures to track progress and ensure success.
- Supporting the school to increase the infusion of culture and language to support the Project.
- Assisting with strengthening parent and community involvement.
- Establishing a community-based School Implementation Team to provide advice and support for the Literacy Improvement Plan and oversee sustainability.