First Nations schools offering Kindergarten to Grade 3.
The principal completes an application form. The next call for applications is late 2019.
Six schools will be selected to begin the Project in September 2020.
The Model Schools Team selects the schools. Experience in the Project has highlighted factors critical for success including:
- Community and school leaders are committed to supporting improved student achievement in literacy.
- School commits that, for Kindergarten to Grade 3, the Model Schools Literacy Project will be the top priority.
- Strong, stable school leadership.
- The Principal has responsibility for the elementary school only.
Relatively stable teaching staff.
- Adequate student attendance.
- Sufficient IT connectivity in the school to support the Project.
- Ongoing IT support is available to the school.
- The school offers full-day Kindergarten or plans to offer it by September 2020.
- Support from Chief and Council.
Applications will be reviewed by the MFI Model Schools team.
All schools that apply will be contacted in early 2020.
Schools that are short-listed will be visited and final selections will be made by the end of March 2020.
The Project will begin in September 2020.
Please be advised that the information you provide in your application will be held in the strictest of confidence by the Martin Family Initiative.